Tuesday, January 11, 2011


Janette and her husband Cliff also run sheep, and today the kids got to help them sort the lambs. I use the term help very loosely. I'm fairly certain that it took at least twice as long as it normally would...


Needless to say, the children had an absolute ball. They were each given a Hells Bells to shake, which is like a tin rattle (also known as a Tin Dog) used for moving sheep up the race into the stockyards.


Now I am no sheep farmer, but I am guessing that you are only meant to shake the Hells Bells when you actually need to. You know, to maximise effectiveness. Grace, however, who insisted on referring to hers as a tambourine, kept the sheep entertained every now and then by dancing around with her 'instrument' and singing. Yes, all you farmers out there are welcome to cringe. I did warn you that I was using the word help very loosely... I'm pretty sure the sheep were actually fighting to get into the race because they were scared witless.




As you can see, it would appear that Charlie is well and truly over his fear of the sheep. In the photo below on the right, he was actually standing in the middle of a complete circle of sheep as they milled around the yard.




And Charlie's new gumboots were worth every dollar. I just have to hose off all the sheep poo. 

Told you I needed to toughen up. 
 
 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio